There are two important uses of marijuana that make legalization reasonable today. One is for recreational purposes, and the other is to its medicinal properties. Between the two, the medicinal seems to be the dominant factor why marijuana is being sought after by many. It also gives rise to a medical marijuana dispensary in different regions and its booming industry.
But what exactly can you get from marijuana in terms of its potential as alternative medicine? How does a simple-looking plant work? Where does its long list of health benefits come from? Answering these questions will be crucial for you as you decide to use medical marijuana from your local dispensaries and see for yourself how it can help you today.
Health Benefits of Medical Marijuana
Before planning to buy cannabis from a medical marijuana dispensary, we must look first at the various medical conditions that can be alleviated or improve their symptoms via marijuana. Many types of research have been conducted to strengthen the claims of marijuana and its benefits. Among these are the following:
● Managing Pain – Cannabinoids, which are among the natural compounds found in marijuana, can significantly aid in easing pain brought by medical conditions such as migraine and arthritis. There are even some experts who are pushing marijuana as a replacement to chemical-based medication like Ibuprofen.
● Mental/Psychological Disorders – one of the earliest conditions that has been examined that can be treated using marijuana. These include anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder, and epilepsy.
● Minimize Inflammation – it was also shown that marijuana has natural anti-inflammatory properties that can be of great help in countering the likes of Crohn’s disease and irritable bowel syndrome.
● Sleep – Due to the powerful relaxing effect of marijuana, many have also explored its capability to help those who have problems in getting proper sleep due to insomnia.
Although marijuana’s effects may vary from person to person, there are several medications based on these plants that have already found its approval from the FDA. These are Cannabidiol, Dronabinol, & Nabilone. Now that many countries have started to legalize it, expect more studies about the many benefits of taking marijuana.
Types of Marijuana
If you ask one of the budtenders from your local medical marijuana dispensary, chances are they will give you an option as to what type of cannabis you prefer or need. Marijuana types are usually divided into three distinct strains, where each produces different effects on its users. Below are its three main types as well as their characteristics:
This type of marijuana is mainly consumed via smoking, and its effects are not used often for therapeutic purposes. However, it is still used as a means to fight the symptoms of conditions like Fatigue and Depression. This is because Sativa contains a high amount of THC cannabinoid, which provides an energizing effect and a creativity booster.
Indica is the anti-thesis of Sative as per their effects. It helps you relax more, and it is also known for its calming effects on those who take it which makes it an excellent alternative in combating the symptoms of insomnia, anxiety, headaches, and spasms
Many marijuana cultivators have been trying to perfect different marijuana strains’ hybridization to get a customized effect. Some try to incorporate all the sound effects of Sativa and Indica in a single strain with an enhanced THC amount or going for a balance between the amount of THC and cannabinoids in one hybrid strain.
How Medical Marijuana Works?
All the effects of marijuana came from the two prevailing substances found naturally on it. These are cannabidiol, also known as CBD and Tetrahydrocannabinol, which is shortened to THC. CBD is the substance the most utilized for medical and therapeutic purposes. It is usually converted to oils to harness its potential, and unlike THC, CBD won’t induce any “high” effect on its users. One of CBD’s stimulating effects is its ability to reduce fatty-acids in one’s body that inhibits essential fatty acids called anandamide, which is responsible for the sensation brought by pain and appetite. CBD is known to help in battling pain, anxiety, Inflammation, and even cancers.
On the other hand, THC has a more psychoactive effect than CBD, targeting the brain to induce a heightened sensation and stimulation. Once taken, THC can trigger our brain to produce dopamine, so the feeling of being high is one of its infamous effects on whoever uses it. These sensations can happen for about 10 mins after taking THC and could last for an hour. It is quite interesting to note in our body; the fatty acid anandamide happens to have similarity with THC.
When appropriately used for medicinal use, THC can be a promising medication for those who have Alzheimer’s disease, ADHD, neuropathic pain, PTSD, and cancer. It is also uncovered that THC is a type of neuroprotectant that protects the brain from stress as well as in inflammation.
What Factors To Consider When Buying From Medical Marijuana Dispensary?
Now that you already know all the critical information about marijuana. Now it is time for you to understand the vital factors when purchasing medical marijuana from a dispensary near you. One must first understand that when you are buying marijuana from a medical dispensary, be sure that you need to secure first a prescription from your physician and a valid ID. Prescriptions are essential to know what kind of marijuana you need and how many doses you should take. Below are the factors that you must take a kind note from your chosen dispensary:
● Legitimacy – A registered dispensary strictly follows the privacy and rights of their customer. One thing to look for a legit dispensary is to check pertinent documents like your ID and prescription that will prove that you are a patient in need of medical marijuana.
● Location – Of course, to save hours from going from places to places, always check if there is a local medical dispensary near your place to visit at your leisure.
● Quality and Prices – like anything in the market, you only want nothing but the best marijuana product at the most affordable price. Look for a dispensary that also offers some discounts and freebies to maximize your marijuana shopping experience.
● Product Choices and Offerings – most dispensaries offer a large variety of marijuana from Sativa to Indica and products based from them like vape pens, topical creams, oils, and a whole lot more. Just be sure that you will buy only the products that fit what you need in terms of your doctor’s advice.